Roles And Duties Of A Criminal Lawyer
Charles Dickens once said that if there were no bad people in the world then there would be no place for good lawyers. They are the ones who defend innocent accused individuals and try their best to rid them of the charges that are put on them. Henceforth, the primary job of criminal lawyers revolves around fighting criminal cases.
Some examples of these criminal cases include:
- Violent crimes
- Sex crimes
- Drug crimes
- Theft and Fraud
- Domestic Violence Crimes
This article will let you have a detailed look on what are the basic rights and duties of a criminal lawyer, their certifications, and how to choose a good lawyer for yourself depending upon their skills and capabilities.
The role of a criminal lawyer
The main job of a criminal lawyer is to defend companies and individuals against any false charges that have been put on them using the rules and guidelines stated by the law and by the means of evidence.
Therefore, here is a list of the major duties of a criminal lawyer:
- Investigate the case and form a detailed report about everything that the witnesses have seen and noticed. This forms the basis of their research.
- Then, they studied the procedural law and crime codes and form an outline about the possibilities by carefully studying the pieces of evidence and witnesses.
- This leads to the development of a case study.
- After the case study is made, they bargain with the prosecution to come to a settlement to either lessen the charges or at least understand the case from their perspective.
- The last thing is to advocate for their client at the court during the trial.
What to look for in a criminal lawyer?
The most basic thing is the ability to convince and communicate. They should also have adequate legal knowledge and enough experience in cases that are similar to yours. Moreover, you should cross-check about the reputation to have an idea about how they work.
The Bottom Line
Although we believe that nobody should ever need a criminal lawyer in case of disputes if you need one in the Ontario region of Canada then a mississauga criminal lawyer can defend your case better than anyone else. Likewise, Passi & Patel are a group of criminal lawyers functioning in Canada in 4 Robert Speck Parkway 15th Floor, Mississauga, Ontario L4Z 1S1. They have a great record of defending people charged with all the variations of criminal offenses including minor and major criminal acts.